Right To Buy

Right to buy applies only to those who were secure tenants of the District Council when their properties were transferred to the Housing Association. This also applies to tenants who are successors of this type of tenancy.

Right to Acquire

To be eligible for right to acquire, a property must have been built or purchased by a Registered Social Landlord, funded on or after 1 April 1997 through a social housing grant provided by the Homes & Communities Agency or a local Authority.

As well as living in a qualifying property you must also:
• Have spent at least three years as a tenant or in accommodation provided by the armed services.
• Live in a house or flat which is a self contained property and is your only or main home.

Anyone who is a joint tenant can buy with you. Also up to three members of your family, if it is their only or main home and they have lived with you for the last 12 months.