Housing and Council Tax Benefit

Housing and Council Tax Benefit is payable to tenants who meet the eligibility criteria and are claiming Job-Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Income Support etc.

If you are claiming Universal Credit, please see the link to the Universal Credit page on the left.

Housing Benefit

This benefit is paid by the local authority to help meet the cost of housing for tenants living in social housing. You can claim housing benefit if you are unemployed or on a low income. 

Non-Dependent Reductions

These result in a reduction of the amount of housing benefit paid to a household. This will occur where there is an adult living in the home who is not the tenant's partner (a non dependent). The amount that the housing benefit is reduced by will vary according to the non dependent's income. 

For more information go to the Shropshire Council or Herefordshire Council websites

Council Tax Benefit

You may have to pay different amounts of council tax in different council areas, even when the income of claimants are the same. 

For more information, please see the Shropshire Council or Herefordshire Council websites. 

Council Tax Debt

We work with Shropshire Council's debt recovery team to try and ensure that individual circumstances are taken in to account. Where appropriate the council may temporarily suspend further action, including temporarily suspending baliffs, to allow our tenancy advice officers time to work with tenants and arrange realistic repayment plans for all debts.